DLMO Profile Saliva Collection
Collect saliva samples 5 hours prior to habitual bedtime, at bedtime, and 1 hour past habitual bed time.
Remain awake through the entire sample collection period.
Avoid NSAIDS, melatonin supplements, or other sleep inducing medication for 3 days prior to DLMO collection.
Avoid alcohol and caffeine 24 hours prior to sample collection.
Avoid consuming pitted fruit, and bananas on the day of collection.
Minimize light exposure during any bathroom breaks.
Remain in dim light (40-watt lightbulb exposure or lower) during the collection time-frame (TV screens are acceptable, preferably dimmed). Other electronic devices such as smart phones, e-Books, computer screens, etc., should be dimmed and switched to “night shift” mode if used.
It is also recommended to dim any outside sources of light by drawing curtains, closing blinds, etc.
Participants should utilize a timer to remind them of the next saliva collection time point, and a scratchpad or notebook to record time of saliva collection.
Sample Collection Timeline
Collect one (1) saliva sample every hour for seven (7) consecutive hours, beginning five (5) hours before your normal bedtime, and one sample after your habitual bedtime.
See the sample timeline below;
|Habitual Sleep Time (HRS)||-5 hrs||-4 hrs||-3 hrs||-2 hrs||-1 hrs||
Saliva Collection Protocol
Before Sample Collection
- Ideally a sleep diary or some other tool is used for a week prior to the evening of sample collection to determine participant’s habitual bed time.
- Avoid foods with high sugar, acidity, or caffeine immediately before sample collection.
- Prepare snacks, water, and a cup for rinsing their mouth, if necessary.
- Document consumption of alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, and prescription/over-the-counter medications within the prior 12 hours.
- Do not brush teeth or eat a major meal within 60 minutes of sample collection.
- Rinse mouth with water and wait at least 10 minutes before providing your saliva sample if food was consumed between sample collections.
- Recommended Per-Vial Collection Volume: 0.5 mL
- Small snacks and water may be consumed between sample collection times, but it is critical to rinse mouth with water 10 minutes prior to saliva collection.
- Physical activity should be minimized during collection.
- Arrange the pre-labeled containers close by and log the actual time of saliva collection for each sample on the provided checklist.
- Refrigerate or freeze samples immediately after collection.
Immediately After Sample Collection
- Record the time and date of sample collection or label samples with provided labels.
- Once entire sample set has been collected, freeze all tubes at or below -20°C (household freezer).
- Samples must be shipped on gel packs overnight, and frozen once received at the testing lab, prior to testing.