Updated: 20 March 2020
Prior to collecting and sending samples to Salimetrics, researchers are requested they follow the Guidance provided by the NIH, Notice Number NOT-OD-20-087, related to NIH-funded Clinical Trials and Human Subjects Studies Affected by COVID-19.
Specifically: At this time, NIH encourages recipients to consult with their IRB and institutions about potential measures to protect participants and research staff. Examples of such measures are:
- Limiting study visits to those needed for participant safety or coincident with clinical care.
- Conducting virtual study visits
- Arranging flexibility for required laboratory tests or imaging needed for safety monitoring to occur at local laboratories or clinics
- Canceling large gatherings of 50 or more people
- Limiting or suspending unnecessary travel
For our Salimetrics research community that will continue collecting saliva samples, please be advised that saliva collected from an infected participant, carries a small but viable risk of contamination from the SARS-COV-2 virus that causes COVID-19 on the vial exterior. Freezing the vials does not diminish the virus’ virulence, hence we advise that all saliva samples, once collected from the research participant, be handled while wearing disposable gloves, which should be discarded once used. We recommend this whether samples are collected by passive drool or using swabs.
Submit Samples Now