DHEA Saliva Collection
DHEA(S) is available over the counter in some areas as a supplement. Document use within 12 hours prior to sample collection.
This analyte is sensitive to freeze-thaw degradation. Sample collection, storage, and handling should be carefully designed to minimize the impact of freeze-thaw cycles.
Consider documenting parameters to estimate saliva flow-rate (ie; time taken to collect and sample volume). Consistency in collection method is recommended to avoid introducing unsystematic error into your study data.
Saliva Collection Protocol
Before Sample Collection
- Avoid foods with high sugar, acidity, or caffeine immediately before sample collection.
- Document consumption of alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, and prescription/over-the-counter medications within the prior 12 hours.
- Document vigorous physical activity and the presence of oral disease, injury or inflammation.
- Do not brush teeth or eat a major meal within 60 minutes of sample collection.
- Rinse mouth with water to remove food residue and then wait at least 10 minutes before collecting saliva.
During Sample Collection
- Recommended Collection Volume: 125 µl*
- Use a collection device that has been validated for the measurement of this analyte.
- Follow your selected sample collection device/method protocol.
*Add 300 µl to the total volume of all tests for liquid handling
After Sample Collection
- Record the time and date of specimen collection.
- Refrigerate samples immediately (if possible) and freeze at or below -20°C (household freezer) as soon as possible (within 6 hours of sample collection)
- Samples visibly contaminated with blood should be recollected.
- Do not add preservatives to saliva samples unless it has been previously validated with the assay.
- Consider aliqouting samples to avoid multiple freeze-thaws.